When I flied at 4000 Ft

Paragliding
Firsthand Account

Qayoom Shiekh

Through rocky patches in the mountainous trek, we reached the most cherished destination.
It was the day of paragliding. We set to cover the distance of around two kilometers to reach the place where we could experience the most adventurous sport. The path was shabby. The rock-solid mountain gave a tough challenge.
Earlier we were dropped by a vehicle at Fakir Gujri (Astaan marg), a village located in the exteriors of the Srinagar city in Dhara area.
We a group of journos’ of seven people were there to cover the paragliding festival organized by department of tourism.

With sweat discharging from our foreheads and heavy breathe making us heavy; we were received by a group of gliders who had come from Himachal Pradesh for paragliding in the mountains of Astaan Marg.
At first sight we looked a bit apprehensive given the nature of height and distance we had to cross. Besides, we were all first timers to this sport.
We were asked to wear harness, a lounge chair that offers support in both sitting and standing position in paragliding.
Ranjeet Singh, paraglider from Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh was very helpful in making us ready for the sport and ensure safety of the journos’.
Here we were ready to fly in the air. The mind was busy whether to take a risk or not. The body was looking shaky. But we had no other options other than to go with the tide.
We had signed on the death certificates that we are wholly and solely responsible for the risk.
I was asked to fly with the pilot, Ranjeet.
The guides tied the wings. I was asked to run down the slope.
“The game is all about the run, as long as you run the better and safe you will fly,” one of the guides of Himachal Pradesh reverberated.
I had earlier seen how first timers tremble in the run. But I had to run, I whispered to myself.
One, two and three, I closed my eyes and began to run aimlessly. The air pushed me up. Here, I was sitting in harness. We made few rounds over the mountain. It looked all enjoyment now. I was smiling at the crowd below, who were waiving hands.
Then Ranjeet set the direction and we were heading to our destination.
Ranjeet told we were at around 4000 feet above from the ground level. The paddy field below looked like doormats.
Ranjeet told, ‘be at ease now, you can free your arms and legs.’
I took my cell-phone from my pocket and begin shooting myself and the land below.
To pretend I am at ease and enjoying the flying, I started interviewing Ranjeet.
We had crossed the distance of about two kilometers.
On hearing that I am from press, he asked, ‘can be have some stunts’.
I replied with boldness, ‘yes’.
Then began the most dangerous game and he started making rounds upward and downward.
I was breathless. But, I did not complain. It went seven-eight times. I thanked God.
Hovering at top of our destination, a glee went in the crowd below.
My journo companions were busy clicking the paragliders. I was the last to arrive from my group.
While landing, Ranjeet told to ‘put your legs staright.’
In fraction of seconds, we were struck with the ground with a thud. Thanks to harness.
The last words of Ranjeet still storm my minds.
“Did you enjoy it, boss?
I replied with a hearty, ‘yes’
I really enjoyed it, this time I was not exaggerating.

Comments

Popular Posts