DELHI DIARY (Part II)

Dear Damsel,

Swaying body, immaturely, and with each dance steps over the thudding Punjabi music, I was relieving myself from the pain, someone close has inflicted upon this “innocent” soul.  It was her brother’s wedding. And, I was a special invitee. Special in two ways-one that I was new to this cultural bonding and secondly I was stressful and I needed someone, a company, dance, death anything!

When I was returning late in the night to home after attending the marriage ceremony, my heart was calm and heart beats were normally operating my soul. Delhi, the most vibrant and choked city, was sleeping and street dogs were in slumber too. Only humankind that I saw besides my autowallah bhai-who was enjoying the empty macadamized roads in the dread of the night, was a young couple. A girl who fitted the height of boy’s chest was trying to get to her toes and the boy was drooping his head, holding the lips of the girl, kissing and hugging intimately under the shadows of streetlight, while their car was lying to rest besides them with its doors open.


I tried to get a closer look at this intimate-romantic-scene and stop for a while to see their love and tell them if they really care for each other and love each other or if they will meet a fate like me, a stressful life. But like the speed of the auto rickshaw on empty roads, my thoughts vanished in the cold air, and I turned my face away from the couple like a true gentleman and looked straight towards the road over autowallah bhai’s fat shoulders
.
Dear Damsel,

I know, I am writing to you after a hiatus of almost eight months. I know, you might have been waiting for other part of the story. I know, you will be hugging an earthen-port under your breasts while inhaling the aroma and hotness of Chinar leaves, and holding the saffron-rich-Kehwa in your bubble hands. I know, snowflakes maybe coming down, dancing hip-hop, and you will be peeping out of your window to see its freshness and whiteness. I know, the neighborhood will be a while blanket. I know, in this situation, you will enjoy my story. I know it too, that you are curious to know why I was “stressful”. I will narrate the whole story.


Before I will begin, remember two important dates-May 05 and May 12. These are historical. Both days changed my life. I am not that person now you had seen in me, when in childhood we were playing hopscotch under the branches of huge walnut trees. I know, you remember how we were brought up. We were told story of one side of the life-that of love, respect, truth, honesty, loyalty. However, I have learned the other side too. I hope, you will not learn it, it is painful-it is cheat, deceit and betrayal.

Besides these “two dates”, remember this also that I have a friend in Delhi, who has always stood by me-in my worst and great times. We have witnessed together many things in our three-year-old friendship. Remember that we have not met each other from almost one-and a half-year, but she is always a phone call or message away. Why I brought her in between is because I want to tell you about her. Her story like me will interest you too.

I had earlier told you that how difficult it was to adjust in Delhi. You know about traffic jams, overloaded buses, and people too. That was summer.

Delhi is a chaotic city. However, it is entertaining too. When I am going for office, everyday, while waiting for the bus, I see BMW cars, auto-rickshaws, buses, motorcycles plying on the same road, and I try to resemble it with people who are a mix of good and bad, cheaters and loyalists, whom you face every day.

****
The winter has already begun. The chill is severe. People look heavy with winter outfit. The life is starting late in the morning after fog gets washed away by hazy rays of the sun. You know, I want to sleep; I don’t want to get up. I don’t want to see her face. I don’t want to see her. I don’t want to hear her.     

You know, it is getting late. You wake up early in the morning for dawn prayers. You have not missed any prayers. I don’t want to keep you awake whole night and tell my story. I don’t want to commit this sin. I know how important the dawn prayers are for you. I remember, when at times there is no warn or hot warm available, you perform ablution with that chilly water, which sends shock wakes to ones nerves. But, you do your obligation. Sleep now, damsel.

There is much to the story. I will come to again, one night. And besides this human soul who gave me a stressful life, there is that girl who invited me to her brother’s marriage. You will enjoy her part in the story also.

To be continued.

For Part I
Click:
http://qayoommadni.blogspot.in/2014/04/delhi-dairy-part-i.html





Comments

Popular Posts